The Democratic Leadership Style
Every organization have leader who applies their own leadership style. This leadership style fits the character and also the situation they face. In organizing, many people expected for having democratic leader.
The leader is usually someone who has the ability to influence the behavior of others. At work, he can use power and also influence others to work together in achieving goals. One of the popular leadership style is democratic leadership style.
What is Democratic Leadership?
A democratic leader is a leader who has a leadership style that is considered open mind and willing to accept opinions or suggestions from each of its members. This input is used by leaders to determine a joint decision in the organization to achieve common goals.
Democratic leadership style is the hope of all organizations. This is because of this leadership style, allowing the opinions of members to remain heard by the leadership in determining decisions for the organization or group.
Usually democratic leaders think of themselves as controllers, supervisors and regulators of an organization. However, he still gives freedom for others to express opinions. Democratic leadership assumes that the role of a leader is to ensure that every decision taken together can be made by his subordinates.
Read also: Servant Leadership: 9 Quality You Must Have!
Characteristic of democratic leadership style
Democratic leadership in general puts forward its members. Every goal and decision taken is in the interest of the people. There are several characteristics of democratic leadership, including:
1. Leadership authority is not absolute. That is, in making decisions, can be influenced by subordinates in the form of input during deliberations.
2. Decisions are made jointly between leaders and subordinates. This means that in making and making decisions, consultation is done first between superiors and subordinates to reach an agreement.
3. Communication between leaders and subordinates goes well. This means that communication is not obstructed by fear, shame, etc. caused by position.
4. There is freedom of expression. This means that subordinates have the right to express their opinions freely in accordance with the principles of democracy.
5. Leaders share authority with subordinates. This means that not all tasks and responsibilities must be carried out by a leader, but may be distributed to subordinates as long as they are still within reasonable limits.
From the understanding and characteristics of democratic leadership above, then we can also implement it by acting fairly and correctly when making joint decisions, not making their own decisions, providing opportunities for opinion and accepting whatever the person's opinion, upholding equality, communicating well with others also relate to giving an opportunity to argue.
Hope you can be the leader who are expected by many people, just like democratic leader.